Sunday, July 7, 2013

Peanut Butter-Oat Balls

Last week, I found a simple recipe for peanut butter balls that called for rolled oats, peanut butter, and optional cocoa powder. I was craving peanut butter, but I didn't want to eat any bread, so I made them with the addition of dark chocolate chips (I know you're not surprised about the chocolate!). The recipe was simple - you just mix a 1:1 ratio of PB and oats, shape into balls, and roll in unsweetened cocoa if desired. It was good, and it satisfied my cravings. But it wasn't great. And my kids didn't eat any after the first one they tried. If I'm going to go through the trouble of making snacks, I want them to be things my kids will eat. This recipe could be much better.

So I tinkered with it, adding a little sweetener and some healthy fats. The result is, in my mind, a huge improvement in both taste and nutritional value.




Ingredients


1 cup rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
1 cup unsweetened crunchy peanut butter (with no added oils)
1 Tbs. raw honey
1 Tbs. coconut oil
Optional: 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (preferably organic, fair trade) or carob chips

Instructions

Mix all ingredients together. I like to use my hands to make sure it's really mixed well. Roll into balls, place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, and place in freezer until hard.

That's it! Store in freezer.

I made 18 balls, but it really depends on how big or small you roll them. Make them smaller for little hands or a fun "mini" snack. Make them bigger for your hungry teens or a lunch portion.

Make it healthier

Use almond butter or another nut butter in place of peanut butter. Peanuts aren't actually nuts, and do not offer the same health benefits as most nuts.



No comments:

Post a Comment